Two Traits of Leaders People Want to Follow
1. A Passion for Improving Conditions
“We must be the change we wish to see.” - Ghandi
The great leaders above all had their own vision for a better world which they pursued with passion, dedication, and commitment. No matter the resistance to challenging the status quo, people rally around leaders who consistently inspire others to be relentless in the pursuit of continuous improvement.
2. A Strong Base of Support
“The team with the best players wins.” – Jack Welch
The leaders above understood they would only be successful if they engaged others who, because of a strong belief in their mission, became just as passionate and committed as they were to implement it. They worked hard to garner dedicated followers who helped make their vision a reality despite blatant opposition and passive resistance.
If you’re in a leadership role, first ask yourself these questions:
- What in my area of responsibility am I most passionate about preserving, changing, or avoiding?
- Who on my team is just as passionate about it as I am?
- What approaches can I utilize to rally the team around this cause?
- What has to happen to make it a reality?
Then put a plan in place and march forward toward the goal!